October 27, 2020
Originally published April 22, 2011
Images: NASA, USGS, JAXA, SELENE, LROC, Pulkova Observatory, Art Museum, Castle Rock & Shangri-La Entertainment
How good are you at quizzes? Try these ten teasers and see how you get on? You’ll probably find them easy, but do feel free to expand upon your answers with any additional information you like. An answers' page will be posted later in the day, say, around 18.00 UT.
- (1) Of course, these are the three craters named after the Apollo 11 astronauts. What is the unofficial name for the feature shown in the red box?
- (2) A strange sort of winch-line this for conveying equipment in and out of the lunar module. What did Armstrong nickname this when on the Moon?
- (3) Luna herself featured briefly in this film, what was the name of the film?
- (4) Big rock this! What name was given to it in honour of his daughter, and who was the father?
- (5) What kind of geological feature is shown here?
- (6) What is this piece of equipment?
- (7) These lunar South Pole locations (in ellipses) were recently looked at as potential landing sites for what two exploration missions in the near future? What are those missions?
- (8) Who is this Russian astrophysicist, and what controversial findings did he make back in the 1950s?
- (9) Can you identify this region?
- (10) A famous painting! Who painted it, what is its title, and what time in the year of 1889 was it supposed to have been painted (between what months, roughly)?
Yesterday's LPOD: Blank Slate
Tomorrow's LPOD: Spectacles